Friday, June 25, 2010

What lasts?

Stone found on ground after releasing Sat Nam the turtle

When I am cleaning out and I come across old letters and cards, I am reminded that the past was once real, but no longer is. We have experiences that can never be repeated - or even if they are, they will never be experienced in the same way. People come and go, relationships transform, we lose touch, we become closer, we part ways and reconnect again - anything can happen over time.

There is an ebb and flow in all of life - the coming and going, shedding and growing. Thinking of it this way, I wonder why we (humans) hold on. The tree doesn't grasp at the leaf as it falls to the ground to serve another purpose. The river water doesn't stop and cling to the pebbles it passes over on its way to the sea.

This morning I woke up at 2:30 a.m. and decided to sleep for another hour before rising for yoga. At 3:30 (usual yoga time) Jasper woke me by pressing his paw into my heart, then lying on my chest, facing my face, purring. I could feel the vibrations running through my chest. He has done that about two or three times (press and purr into my heart). I remember in particular he did it once on a Valentine's Day and once on a Christms day. He definitely senses things - and that must be his way of opening the heart or saying "I love you".

This morning as I finished yoga, a clear question flew into my head: What in life has meaning?

The immediate clear answer was: Only Love has meaning.

No comments: