Saturday, June 18, 2011

Yoga Portraits: DEV


Spiritual Name: Beantroop Singh

Given Name: Dev Pooma

Occupation: Teacher

1. HOW DID YOU DISCOVER KUNDALINI YOGA?

It was recommended to me by a dear friend of mine who thought that this would be something that I would be interested in. She was right!!! Thanks Veve :D

2. WHAT ABOUT YOUR FIRST KUNDALINI YOGA EXPERIENCE MADE YOU DECIDE TO CONTINUE WITH IT?

I originally started Kundalini in September 2008. I decided to continue with it because of my connection with the teacher (Tek Har). My positive mind was telling me that good would come from it and that I needed it.It was right!

3. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN PRACTISING KUNDALINI YOGA?

I had done it from 2008 to 2010 I believe. Then I took a sabbatical of sorts and returned to it this April (2011). Since then I have started the 40 days meditation. I am now on my twelfth day of that practice and I'm feeling good!!!!! ( think Jennifer Hudson when you read this line.)

4. WHAT ABOUT KUNDALINI YOGA MAKES YOU CHOOSE IT AS OPPOSED TO THE MANY OTHER FORMS OF YOGA?

Well I can't say that I know much about the other forms of yoga. What I like about Kundalini is the fact that it is described as the householder's yoga. The kriyas are more or less simple to do. And most importantly I am seeing great results in my life. I am HAPPYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

5. DO YOU KEEP UP A REGULAR PRACTICE?

I've been doing my forty day meditation since the first of June. I basically do the meditation aspect and the breathing as I feel like I have problems with breathing. Also I find that simply breathing properly helps in every situation. I do this practice at nights before I go to sleep. I chose that period because I dream a lot and felt that doing this practice before bed would curb this or change the quality of my dreams.

6. WHAT BENEFITS DO YOU EXPERIENCE THROUGH YOUR PRACTICE?

Like I said "I am happy!!!" Also I am able to approach each day with a different outlook, a more positive one. I find that my energy/ aura has improved. My sexual energy has also calmed and has become more controllable and controlled.

7. HAS ANYTHING ABOUT YOU OR YOUR LIFE CHANGED SINCE YOU STARTED PRACTISING KUNDALINI YOGA?

I find that since then I have observed the universe aligning to support me. However to show a practical example I'd like to share a personal story.

My fifteen form five students (whom I love dearly) are graduating this year. I decided that I would take them out to a celebratory lunch before they leave. I have been telling all of my friends about this. Lo and behold one Saturday evening a friend gives me a box. She says "This is going to be your Oprah moment". As I opened it I saw a Chinese envelope. I immediately thought it was Chinese tea and was happy to receive it as I do love tea. She says" Look inside!" As I open the envelope I saw money. "Check it" she says. As I checked I realized it was twelve hundred dollars!!!! I looked at her confused. She says "It's for your lunch with your kids. Four of my friends and I came together and wanted to to do this for you because you are the kind of teacher that we need nowadays. You represent what being a teacher is all about." I wanted to cry but for the first time that I can ever remember I was totally speechless. I hugged my friends. I said thank you and I've been on cloud nine since then.

To me this shows how yoga affects your life. It supercharges it with positive energy all around.

BTW Big up to my friend and her four friends (now my friends!). My kids and I will surely pay this grand gesture forward.


8. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ASPECT OF KUNDALINI YOGA AND WHY?

I love the meditation. It is something I am familiar with and it settles my mind.

9. HOW DO YOU GENERALLY FEEL AFTER A KUNDALINI YOGA CLASS?

Supercharged!!!!

10. What words of wisdom do you have for anyone reading this?

"Try it! You go like it! Cause it makes you feel goooooood."

11. HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THOU ART YOGA?

I was sent an email and am part of the group/class.

12. ANY FAMOUS LAST WORDS?

"I claim my personal power."



No comments: