Monday, July 4, 2011

Yoga Portraits: KEISHA

NAME: Keisha Tamara Lindsay

OCCUPATION: Speech-Language Pathologist and adjuster to life in Trinidad - ☺

1. HOW DID YOU DISCOVER KUNDALINI YOGA?
I was visiting the Natural Balance store in St. Clair and saw the Thou Art Yoga card. Later on, the owner suggested the classes to me as a way to become more centered after I expressed my many difficulties since my recent re-location to Trinidad. The first “try” was an event entitled “Yoga and Cupcakes”. It was held on the rooftop of the Carlton Savannah and it was my birth event into my yoga practice. The cupcakes were divine!

2. WHAT ABOUT YOUR FIRST KUNDALINI YOGA EXPERIENCE MADE YOU DECIDE TO CONTINUE WITH IT?
I believe it was about the connection I felt to the chants. The class was extremely difficult for me, both mentally and physically. I remember it being hard to quiet my mind and to breathe, but once I chanted, I began to feel more connected to this divine self. I wanted to see if the experience would get easier and also thought it would be a wonderful way to connect with others.

3. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN PRACTISING KUNDALINI YOGA?
My first class was April 16th, 2011. Seems a lot longer!

4. WHAT ABOUT KUNDALINI YOGA MAKES YOU CHOOSE IT AS OPPOSED TO THE MANY OTHER FORMS OF YOGA?
Though it is more difficult for me than Hatha yoga, Kundalini empowers me and reminds me that I can push through any challenge. At times, it is challenging to even begin practicing in the morning, but once I do, the strength I feel is divine. (I know, I use the word divine a lot!)

5. DO YOU KEEP UP A REGULAR PRACTICE?
I do. I wake up most mornings and do it before exercising. The mornings are wonderful for me and I enjoy waking up and practicing before my cell phone begins to ring. I find it difficult to keep a regular practice when I am traveling, so I will need to work at scheduling this.

6. WHAT BENEFITS DO YOU EXPERIENCE?
A sense of openness. Perhaps it is being a Libra, but I have always been the kind of person to balance the scales: “Should I do this or that?” I am constantly questioning which means that my mind feels like it’s on a treadmill. With Kundalini, my thoughts are beginning to quiet and I am beginning to be more open – open to whatever is coming my way, open to possibilities that I did not plan, open to a divine plan.

7. HAS ANYTHING ABOUT YOU OR YOUR LIFE CHANGED SINCE YOU STARTED PRACTISING KUNDALINI YOGA?
I sense small changes. I don’t worry as much about what tomorrow will bring as I find myself trying to take in all that is in the present. The greatest effect has been in how I perceive my personal relationship. Instead of questioning and planning, I am simply open to receiving the love that my partner gives, which in turn allows me the gift of returning that love – an amazing cycle! I am now realizing how much love we share in our own special ways.


8. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ASPECT OF KUNDALINI YOGA?
Wearing white! I feel so regal and so confident – the true Keisha really does come out in white! And it’s great shopping for white clothing too!

9. HOW DO YOU GENERALLY FEEL AFTER A KUNDALINI YOGA CLASS?
Lifted in so many ways. As a result of the small group in the East, I believe that we lift each other. My spirit is lifted after and I feel inspired to do what is mine to do. I also feel physically lighter after the class – as if weights have been lifted off of me.

10. ANY WORDS OF WISDOM FOR ANYONE READING THIS?
It’s the same words I tell parents of picky eaters – “you must try it twice before you say it’s not nice.” Kundalini is not easy, but it is truly a divine experience that allows you to come into alignment with that true, God-given self.

11. HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THOU ART YOGA?
Through the staff at Natural Balance and then by joining the Facebook page.

12. ANY FAMOUS LAST WORDS?
The meditation that I do every morning and during the day when my heart must be opened – SAT KARTAR. Open Your Heart!

***
To find out how you can join Thou Art Yoga classes:
http://yogapassport.blogspot.com/

No comments: