Monday, May 16, 2011

Meditation for a macaroni mind

Outside at lunchtime, White Tantric Yoga, Toronto 2011

We have White Tantric Yoga homework—11 mins of a particular meditation for 40 consecutive days. Today is day 9.

For a while since being back from Toronto (a week ago) my natural body clock had gone askew. Instead of waking up at about 3:30 a.m. as I usually do, I was getting up at 6:00-ish, feeling sluggish and heavy . . . and was doing yoga/meditation then.  It was a push, but I soldiered through it. I prefer doing sadhana in the ambrosial hours when everyone is asleep and it's dark, still, quiet and cool(ish).

This morning I woke up feeling energised and well rested, even though I went to bed at about ten. When I looked at the time, it was 1:30 a.m. Shortly after, I got up and did sadhana, starting with the White Tantric Yoga homework meditation. As I did it, this analogy came to me:

Sometimes thoughts & feelings are like the stubborn bits of macaroni that stick to the dish after the macaroni pie has been eaten. Meditation is the water we fill the dish with, to soak the stuck bits. They loosen, float up and are washed away . . . until the next pie.

No comments: