Thursday, December 16, 2010

Early morning gift

I was awakened at 2:30 a.m. by a loud, consistent chewing sound right next to my ear. Realising that it was Jasper crouched next to my head, I flew out of bed and turned on the light to see what he had. It was a baby dove and he was busy consuming it—something he rarely does. He usually just brings the animals whole (either alive or dead) with not even a tooth mark on them. Very rarely is there even blood.

Considering the fact that the captured animals are gifts from cat to owner, this morning it was as though Jasper had brought me a box of chocolates and then proceeded to eat them himself.

I took the bird from him and wrapped it in a piece of paper so he would not get to it while I did yoga. Interestingly, the available piece of paper I reached for had a poem on it, which I had come up with as 2009 crossed into 2010.

My heart is open
I receive the Beloved
I embrace the Beloved
I am the Beloved
You are the Beloved
We are the Beloved.

Rest in peace, Dove.

No comments: