Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Yoga Portraits: ARACELI

NAME: Araceli Marchan

OCCUPATION: Mathematics Teacher/ College Lecturer

1. HOW DID YOU DISCOVER KUNDALINI YOGA?
I wasn’t familiar with this form of Yoga until about 9 months. After reading up on it and talking to a friend about its benefits, I realized that the teachings and meditations were very much in line with my spiritual beliefs. I was very excited about trying my first class.

2. WHAT ABOUT YOUR FIRST KUNDALINI YOGA EXPERIENCE MADE YOU DECIDE TO CONTINUE WITH IT?
I was actually very unsure whether I wanted to continue after my first experience. I felt transformed, but I couldn’t identify how. Something in me had shifted but I couldn’t verbalize what it was. However, I knew I had to do another class to fully understand what had taken place within me. After my second class I realized that it was the intensity of the spiritual connection that I felt that made me antsy after my first class. As I grew comfortable with the complete surrender that you experience during Kundalini Yoga, I began to relax and enjoy the benefits.

3. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN PRACTISING KUNDALINI YOGA?
For approximately 6 months.

4. WHAT ABOUT KUNDALINI YOGA MAKES YOU CHOOSE IT AS OPPOSED TO THE MANY OTHER FORMS OF YOGA?
I am not too familiar with other forms of yoga, but what I like about Kundalini Yoga is that you not only build physical strength but you also work on your emotional and spiritual muscles as well. Some kriyas are more physically challenging than others, but my ability to accomplish things that I thought would be physically impossible always impresses me. I feel a sense of accomplishment after each class. The physical attainment, coupled with the spiritual inner peace, make this the ideal form of yoga for me.

5. DO YOU KEEP UP A REGULAR PRACTICE?
Not as regular as I would like to. I try to make time each day for at least a few minutes of meditation. I wish I had more time to do kriyas at least a few days a week. I try to attend class every week. The weeks when I am unable to make it to class, I truly miss it. My mind, my body and my spirit crave it.

6. WHAT BENEFITS DO YOU EXPERIENCE?
I am filled with love and acceptance for all of humanity. With that comes clarity and a great peace of mind. I possess the tools that enable me to surpass any challenging situation that may come my way. I also experience increased physical endurance.

7. HAS ANYTHING ABOUT YOU OR YOUR LIFE CHANGED SINCE YOU STARTED PRACTISING KUNDALINI YOGA?
I am a lot calmer and less easily angered. I get less anxious about life situations and am inclined to surrender to the divine more readily. I am more at peace and feel centered…unaffected by negativity. I am more conscious of my breathing; my breaths are deeper…more fulfilling. My work schedule prohibited me from starting Thou Art Yoga’s kundalini classes sooner than I did. Now that I am a class regular, I schedule my work and life around my yoga classes instead of the other way around.

8. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ASPECT OF KUNDALINI YOGA?
The meditation. It allows me time to relax, clear my mind, allow positive energy to flow through my cells.

9. HOW DO YOU GENERALLY FEEL AFTER A KUNDALINI YOGA CLASS?
Resurrected. Renewed. Revitalized. I am Reassured that my life is unfolding according to a divine plan. I am Empowered to go forth with confidence, knowing that all is well. I like to call it my Kundalini Yoga high.

10. ANY WORDS OF WISDOM FOR ANYONE READING THIS?
My three year old daughter loves doing Kundalini Yoga as well. Besides the fact that it provides us with quality mommy and me time together, she enjoys chanting the mantras and the physical aspects of the kriyas. In her own words, “Yoga is beautiful”. Kundalini Yoga may not be for everyone but if you are open to it, it will be open to you. The benefits are life transforming.

11. HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THOU ART YOGA?
From the Facebook group. I was directed there by a friend.

12. ANY FAMOUS LAST WORDS?
“I Am There” – by James Dillet Freeman

Do you need Me ?
I am there.

You cannot see Me, yet I am the light you see by.
You cannot hear Me, yet I speak through your voice.
You cannot feel Me, yet I am the power at work in your hands.

I am at work, though you do not understand My ways.
I am at work, though you do not understand My works.

I am not strange visions. I am not mysteries.
Only in absolute stillness, beyond self, can you know Me as I AM, and then but as a feeling and a faith.
Yet I am here. Yet I hear. Yet I answer.
When you need ME, I am there.

Even if you deny Me, I am there.
Even when you feel most alone, I am there.
Even in your fears, I am there.
Even in your pain, I am there.
I am there when you pray and when you do not pray.
I am in you, and you are in Me.

Only in your mind can you feel separate from Me, for
only in your mind are the mists of "yours" and "mine".
Yet only with your mind can you know Me and experience Me.

Empty your heart of empty fears.
When you get yourself out of the way, I am there.
You can of yourself do nothing, but I can do all.
And I AM in all.
Though you may not see the good, good is there, for
I am there. I am there because I have to be, because I AM.

Only in Me does the world have meaning; only out of Me does the world take form; only because of ME does the world go forward.
I am the law on which the movement of the stars and the growth of living cells are founded.
I am the love that is the law's fulfilling. I am assurance.

I am peace. I am oneness. I am the law that you can live by.
I am the love that you can cling to. I am your assurance.
I am your peace. I am ONE with you. I am.
Though you fail to find ME, I do not fail you.
Though your faith in Me is unsure, My faith in you never wavers, because I know you, because I love you.

Beloved, I AM there.

****
To find out more about Thou Art Yoga classes, click here
And join us on Facebook.

No comments: