Monday, August 29, 2011

Jasper's latest

I was lying in bed in the dark after yoga. Jasper jumped out of the window. A few minutes later he jumped back in. As he landed on the ground, I thought "It's been a while since he's caught anything."

Lo and behold, I heard him scurrying with something on the ground. I leaped out of bed and turned on the light to see a baby dove, still alive, gasping on the floor near the yoga mat. I grabbed the bird up and cupped it in my hands. After a while of gasping, it calmed down and remained still, only blinking its eyes. I noticed a wound to the chest, but not seeing blood, didn't think it was serious. The dove's body felt strong and I thought it would survive.

However, shortly after, it suddenly began to open its beak wide, its body started to twist and contort and, within seconds, it curled into itself and died.

R.I.P.



3 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

I always feel so sad when I find a dead bird in our yard or the pieces of one that I know Henry has been in hunting mode!

but what to do with our natural hunters? Such is life. And death.

Elspeth said...

Indeed. Nature's way.

Anonymous said...

It is sad. God Bless you.