Friday, November 13, 2009

Simple New Window Lamp

Look through the top right portion of the window and you will see a baptism taking place in the sea.


I refer to the window lamps I make as Three Dimensional Prayers. For those of you who don't know, I've been making window lamps for over a decade. I make one when someone orders it. The process is not just about the physical lamp. It is also about the symbolism, the interactive concept and the essence that the lamp brings to the owner (and others and me) through its light. Their purpose is healing. Just as you would go to a doctor to cure a sore throat, you can commission a lamp to help heal a particular area of your life and generate intangible gifts.

Nicole H,, who commissioned this current lamp, is willing to have it documented, to share the process with others.

STEP 1
The first question I asked Nicole was: What do you want this lamp to be about? What do you want it to give you?

Her answer was: SIMPLICITY

This will therefore be a very simple lamp. As you can see in the above photo, it is a small one (the smallest to date).

STEP 2
I asked Nicole to write a list of 20 things in her life that she would like to simplify ... things that would make her life easier. Her answers included:
- To be able to express myself in a clear manner (verbally and in writing)
- To always be able to do the thing I love the most - help others in need
- To let go of the mistakes I have made

... and other more personal things.

For each sentence she wrote, I chose a single word that 'answered it' - providing what she would need to achieve her desire of simplicity and lightness in relation to the particular issue.

E.g.
- To be able to express myself in a clear manner (verbally and in writing) = CLARITY
- To always be able to do the thing I love the most - help others in need = SERVICE

All 20 words are the gifts that this lamp will bring to Nicole and others who encounter it:
CLARITY, SELF LOVE, FREEDOM, ACCEPTANCE, PATIENCE, COURAGE, HAPPINESS, FORGIVENESS, UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, SERVICE, TRUST, HUMILITY, CELEBRATION, UNDERSTANDING, SELF WORTH, RECEPTIVITY, STRENGTH, SURRENDER, FLEXIBILITY, DIVINITY

STEP 3
How I took these words to the next level in order to incorporate them as part of the lamp will be revealed shortly.

***
See this Window Lamp Retrospective for examples of a few of the many from way back when. The lamps have changed since then, becoming more simple, conceptual and interactive.

Names of some of the lamps thus far:
MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE
TWILIGHT DOOR
SOMNIUM
LOVE WINDOW
DREAMING GOD
SERENDIPITY
BELOVED
LEVITY FOR GRAVITY
I AM
AS I AM, YOU ARE
DIVA
ENCHANTED FOREST

This current lamp has not yet been named. The name will come during the process.



2 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

I enjoyed seeing the history of lamps. And I look forward to seeing what you do with this one. I must say this photograph of window framing the sea is quite a beautiful statement in its simplicity.

Unknown said...

love the photo beautiful convept