Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I have spoken

Wikipedia defines 'hope' as "a belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in one's life. Hope implies a certain amount of despair, wanting, wishing, suffering or perseverance - i.e. believing that a better or positive outcome is possible even when there is some evidence to the contrary."

Photo taken (2004) with my 35mm Pentax, in my pre-digital camera days.
*
In part of my dream on Monday night I was at a function. It was somewhere 'fancy' like Hilton ... or perhaps it was the Prime Minister's palace. I was talking with a group of friends when suddenly there was a stir and the PM appeared, surrounded by a bevy of admirers. He was joking and smiling and 'being charming'. As soon as I saw him I moved away from my group, went up to him and asked him what was going to be done about ... (and here I started listing the things that are wrong in the country).

He started to laugh at me in a what-are-you-talking-about-nothing's-wrong-with-this-country kind of way.

I calmly said: "This is not a joke, Mr. Manning." He made a flippant comment, dismissing me, and moved off laughing with his entourage. I followed and tapped his shoulder to make him turn around and face me. Whatever I told him at this point, I can't remember, but he started to say something in defense of himself. Before he could finish, I said pointedly: "I have spoken."

He stopped, surprised and started slowly backing away from me. He opened his mouth to try and speak, but before any words could emerge, I said in a quiet, firm tone: "I have spoken!" (For the relevance of this statement, see here).

Is the "I" in the dream a symbol of 'the people'? What have we said? Are we yet to say it? And how?

4 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

I can see how your dream comes from what is happening in your country. One might have a feeling of dispair, or helplessness given these events of late.
I join you in being hopeful for a better future. (soon)

Elspeth said...

I'm not sure 'soon' is a word I would realistically apply to the concept of a 'better future' for the country. That kind of transformation will take time, among other things ...

Guanaguanare said...

Vox populi, vox dei

The voice of the people is the voice of God
I am the voice of the people, thereforeI am God
Since I am God
And the voice of the people is my voice
They shall have no voice before me.
Let them be silent!
I HAVE SPOKEN.

human being said...

i went to the link and got the relevance...
a delegate for people... the artist...
your dream is so positive... the artist can speak for people through his art...