Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Latest on "Synchronicity", my camera

With Synchronicity before the 'adventure'
*
Several people have been asking me what is happening with Synchronicity.

RECAP: I sent my camera via courier to the States on 16 February 2009.

After an unexpectedly long and frustrating period of waiting and wondering, on 3 March, my DHL online status update finally indicated that someone at Sony in Texas had signed for my camera.

The next day, 4th March, I received correspondence from Sony with details of my service number, etc (so that I could check repair progress online). I checked that very day and there was no report yet.

The next day, 5 March, I once again checked the status of my camera online and was surprised to see this message: The Sony product that you have inquired about was shipped back to you.

What?! I couldn't believe it. So quickly?! One day after they had received it?!! Sony states that prior to starting repairs, they send the customer a quote and then proceed once the customer agrees. I had received no such quote ... and, as the camera had accidentally dropped, I wasn't even sure if the warranty would have been honoured.

There were no details accompanying the message that my camera was being shipped back, so wondered what was going on. I wrote to ask them what had been done with the camera.

Almost immediately I got this response:

Greetings Elspeth Duncan

We are pleased to inform you that the repair of this Digital SLR Camera was restored to factory specifications. According to the technician's report the LCD screen was replaced as well as a part that is described as a CV LCD Lower Cov. You should not have any more problems with this unit in the future.


The package was returned via UPS 3 Day Service and shipped to the following address:
(Sky Box address) If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

After the frustrating delays with the courier service and US customs, the SONY experience was a dream. Swift, efficient, honouring my warranty (free repairs), shipping at their cost to the Sky Box, all within two days. I am highly impressed with SONY's customer service ... from the time I made my first two overseas calls to them to report the problem and get advice ... to the time they received the camera and communcated with me. They have been professional, knowledgeable, responsive and courteous.

Whenever I check UPS online, it is up to date - scheduled to arrive at a friend's Skybox in Miami today. I went yesterday to the UPS office to give them the customs form so I won't have to pay the exorbitant fees of a new camera when Synchronicity comes in - most likely by the end of this week, all things permitting.

As I walked into the UPS office I instantly knew that I was in the right place. I had walked into a big bright box of Love. The entire office had hearts of all shapes and sizes pasted upon the walls and hanging from the ceiling in clusters and on globes/worlds. I felt like I had come full circle back to the Valentine's Day when my camera had fallen ... only this time, in a much better place.

8 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

I am so happy that the camera is coming home and is all fixed like new again, and was fixed so quickly after all the hassle you got from customs. I hope this changes some of the negative feeling you had towards the US.
At least one company served you well. Now if Sony only was responsible for giving out Visas!

meadysmusings said...

Great news!

Elspeth said...

I actually don't have negative feelings toward the US itself as a geongraphical landmass (much of which is naturally beautiful) or to its people (those of whom I know being lovely people). I just don't like some of the policies and the arrogance and severity with which non-US-citizens can be treated in terms of visas, etc.

Wuzdescene said...

Elspeth ... I think you're in a pic in today's Express .... Page 23 ....

SPR said...

moral of the story - in part:- stick with ups & sony ;-D

Elspeth said...

Wuz, yes I saw it ... and so did everyone else (i.e. people calling to tell me).

Charles, yup ... those UPS and downs of shipping overseas. I'll go for the UPS from now on.

Anonymous said...

i <3 UPS :D

Elspeth said...

I think I do too, after this experience.