Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Immersed in club soda ... and other news

Maracas Bay seen upon arrival through my windscreen .
I like the symbolism of this star and rainbow together: making a wish and getting the pot of gold.
*
Yesterday (Divali) I headed off early to Maracas Bay with my friend Tamara (Miss T) who is here from Toronto until December - shooting footage for a film she's working on. I'll be doing some work on it with her (shooting) in November and, if it's anything like the last time she was here, it will be fun and interesting. We reached Maracas early and the beach was fairly empty (although, being a public holiday, we knew the masses would be descending from around 10 - 11 a.m. - the time we ended up leaving). The ocean was rough, with huge waves ... but in a contradictory way, even though we were being tumbled and scraped along the sea floor, the texture of the water itself was soft and effervescent. It felt as though we were immersed in a huge washing machine full of club soda. Very cleansing and rafraichissant ... to use a French word.

Speaking of which ...
Invitation to awards ceremony (writing appears backwards because of iPhoto)
I got two other invites for two guests, which I gave to mum and one of my sisters.
*

In other news:
1. This evening at the 2007/2008 Prize Award Ceremony on campus, I will receive my French prize. I can't remember if I mentioned that while in Tobago recently, I got an unexpected phone call from a woman at the University telling me I had won a prize for French. Finally I'll get to see what it is! Peut-ĂȘtre ... an all-expenses-paid trip for two to Paris?

2. I will be on TV tomorrow morning (Gayelle's early morning Cock-a-doodle-do programme) presenting the cheque (proceeds from the Green Carpet concert) to WORC. We will be giving all concert profits to this organisation, to assist with the vital work they do for injured and orphaned wild animals. Tune in and see what WORC is about. You may be moved to give more - cash or kind (they need volunteers).

4 comments:

Jaase said...

Congrats! (on your French achievement)

Jaase said...

Lets know what you got!! :)

Anonymous said...

felicitations! :)

Elspeth said...

Merci.